Chile Güerito & Pork Stew
As we kiss the long hot summer days good bye, we also welcome the nip in the air that fall brings. During this much anticipated crisp autumn, nothing will be more satisfying than a spicy, heartwarming bowl of stew. This chile güerito and pork stew is bursting with flavor and texture and will warm you from the inside out. The chile gives it a little bit of a kick that balances and compliments the flavor of the pork and mushrooms.
- 4 lbs boneless pork country-style ribs
- 1 lb yellow chile peppers (roasted, peeled and seeded)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 (4 oz.) can of sliced mushrooms, undrained
- 3 medium tomatoes (roasted and chopped)
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 4 cups water
- Salt to taste
- Cut the pork in cubes, lightly season the meat with salt and brown in a large pot for approximately 30 minutes at medium heat.
- Add the onion, chile and garlic, sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato, undrained mushrooms, cumin, water and salt to taste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes longer.