Hearty Potato Soup
7 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 lb pkg. bacon, diced and cooked
1 yellow onion, minced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
4 cups low sodium chicken broth
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Green onions, sliced
- In a large Dutch oven or pot, cover the potatoes in water and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender about 20 minutes.
- While the potatoes are cooking, in a medium pan, brown the bacon, drain and discard the bacon fat, leaving about one tablespoon in the pan.
- Add the onion to the bacon fat and saute until transparent. Then add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about one minute.
- Add the flour to the onion and garlic and cook for about a minute, stirring frequently.
- Add in 1 cup of chicken broth slowly while whisking and breaking up the clumps of flour. Then, add the remaining broth and continue stirring until mixture thickens.
- When the potatoes are done, drain and return to the Dutch oven. Mash the potatoes with a potato masher to your desired consistency.
- Add the chicken broth mixture, sour cream, milk and 1 cup of shredded cheddar to the potatoes. Add or decrease milk depending on your desired consistency.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and allow the soup to cook for about 5 more minutes.
- Top with bacon, green onions, and grated Cheddar cheese.