Cocoa Espresso Waffles
- 1½ cups pastry flour (whole grain)
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup fat free milk
- 3 tablespoons light olive oil
- 3 egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- In a large glass mixing bowl, combine the first four dry ingredients: pastry flour, baking powder, cocoa, and baking soda.
- Create a hole in the middle of the mixture and add the espresso, milk, oil and sugar. Mix all the ingredients together with a wire whisk until smooth.
- The waffle maker should be preheated for about 4 minutes. It is ready when a small drop of water sizzles on the waffle maker.
- In the meantime, with a hand mixer beat the egg whites along with a pinch of salt at high speed until soft peaks are formed.
- Fold in the egg whites into the batter just until both mixtures are combined well.
- Spray the waffle maker with cooking spray just before pouring in the batter. Add just enough batter to almost cover the grids on the waffle maker.
- Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until firm.
White wine apricot syrup
- 6 fresh apricots (cut in half and pitted)
- 1 cup of white wine (Riesling)
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a small sauce pan, bring wine, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla
to a boil.
- Add the apricots to the liquid with the cut side facing down. Cook for about 4 minutes and take the apricots out. Set aside to cool.
- Allow the wine mixture to continue to boil while stirring constantly until it thickens. Remove from heat.
- Slice the apricots about 1/6th of an inch thick and place in a serving bowl.
- Pour the wine mixture over the apricots and cover.
- Spoon apricots over the waffles and garnish with a sprig of mint.