Jesse’s KC BBQ Preferred Rub
10-18 lbs brisket (flat and untrimmed)
5 tbsp seasoning salt
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp celery salt
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1½ tbsp chili powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp black pepper
- In a large mixing bowl, incorporate all the ingredients. Using a whisk, mix seasonings well until an even color is achieved throughout.
- Coat the brisket evenly on all sides with the dry rub mixture. Let it sit in the refrigerator for one hour.
- Soak some hickory wood chips in water for about an hour. Then wrap the wood chips in aluminum foil and puncture a few holes in the foil.
- Prepare a fire in the smoker using charcoal and the hickory chips. Allow the temperature to reach 280° and place the brisket directly on the smoker rack with the fat side up and close the lid.
- Cook at a constant 280° for 8 hours. After 8 hours, pull the brisket from the smoker and wrap it in aluminum foil to keep the juices from leaking out. Place in the smoker for another 2 hours.
- On a cutting board, slice the brisket against the grain and serve with KC style barbeque sauce.