Reduced-fat Upside-Down Pineapple Cake
3 tbsp light brown sugar
1 tbsp low-fat margarine
7 canned pineapple rings, unsweetened
1/3 cup reserved pineapple juice
1½ cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp salt
½ cup applesauce, unsweetened
1/3 cup sugar
3 egg whites, lightly beaten
½ tsp vanilla extract
7 Maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Melt the margarine in a 9-inch round cake pan. Add the brown sugar and 2 teaspoons of the reserved pineapple juice to the melted margarine and stir until well combined. The mixture should be evenly distributed at the bottom of the pan.
- Neatly assemble the pineapple rings in a single layer over the brown sugar mixture.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine the applesauce, sugar, egg whites, vanilla and reserved pineapple juice. Mix well.
- Combine the applesauce mixture into the flour mixture. On medium speed, beat the two mixtures with an electric mixer until well incorporated.
- Pour the cake mix over the pineapple rings in the pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Once the cake is done, invert it onto a cake platter or plate. Top with Maraschino cherries and enjoy!
Note: Do not let it cool for too long because the sugar will harden making it stick to the pan.