Capirotada | Mexican Bread Pudding
- 8 medium bolillo breads (sliced vertical about 1 inch thick)
- 2 brown sugar cones
- 1 quart of water
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tablespoon of cloves
- 2 cups of unsalted peanuts
- 2 cups of raisins
- 2 cups of chopped pecans
- 2 cups of mozzarella cheese
- First, toast the round slices of bread making sure they are not burnt and set them aside.
- In a medium sauce pan bring the water, sugar cones, cinnamon and cloves to a slow boil until the cones dissolve and mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and take out the cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- In a 9x12 cake pan, arrange the toasted bread slices along the bottom and pour some of the sugar liquid over all the bread, only enough to barely soak through to the bottom of the pan.
- Spread a layer of peanuts, raisins, and cheese. Repeat the layering starting with the bread until you reach the edge of the pan.
- The last layer of your capirotada should be finalized with the sprinkles.
- Finally bake for approximately 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until the cheese is melted.