Citrus Delight Dessert
This creamy, citrusy dessert is perfect for those Easter picnics that are just around the corner. The barely sweet layer of Maria cookies give this dessert an almost pudding-cake like experience.
• Zest of 2 large lemons
• Zest of 1 medium orange
• 4 egg yolks
• 1 egg white
• 1 cup sugar, divided
• 2 tbsp vanilla flavored Maizena
• 2 cups milk
• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1 cinnamon stick
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 12 Maria cookies
• 2 tbsp butter, melted
- In a medium saucepan, bring the milk, lemon zest, orange zest, cinnamon stick and vanilla to a boil. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook for 20 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Strain the milk mixture through a fine mesh colander and set aside to cool in the same saucepan.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat the egg yolks and ½ cup of sugar until it thickens.
- Add the Maizena to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Add the egg yolk mixture to the milk and bring to a boil at low heat until it thickens, stirring constantly.
- Once you achieve a pudding consistency, distribute among 4 dessert serving dishes and refrigerate.
- Process cookies in a food processor until fine, add the butter and pulse until it is well combined.
- Distribute the cookie mixture among the dessert dishes, pressing down slightly to spread evenly.
- Refrigerate until ready to top with whipped cream.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream with an electric mixer at medium speed until a light and foamy consistency is achieved.
- Mix in ½ cup of sugar, more or less to taste.
- Spoon the whipped cream on top of each dessert dish and garnish with orange and/or lemon zest.
To save time, you can eliminate the last two steps by simply layering the Maria cookies within the pudding instead of processing them and buying store bought whipped cream.